Literacy and Numeracy I have used in a 24-hour period:
- Writing this list
- Writing notes on my hand or in my notebook
- Listening to and watching lecture
- Playing Sudoku
- Reading text messages
- Replying to text messages
- Reading facebook posts/messages/comments
- Writing facebook posts/messages/comments
- Reading peer-reviewed articles
- Reading signs
- Judging distances
- Between cars
- Between people
- Between objects
- Talking to friends/family – on the phone and in person
- Listening to friends/family – on the phone and in person
- Reading the time
- Setting my alarm
- Approximating travel time
- Judging whether I have enough petrol to get to when I need to be
I wasn’t overly surprised about my
literacy and numeracy capabilities over a 24 hour period. However, listing them
gave me a chance to really think about what activities are included when we
think about literacy and numeracy. Most, if not all, everyday activities incorporate some form of literacy and/or numeracy. I am sure I probably overlooked at least a dozen
particularly subtle activities but the chance to
think specifically about how much literacy and numeracy affects our everyday
lives has given me a greater appreciation for teaching children to be literate
and numerate.
The ability to teach literacy and numeracy to children through regular, non-specific activities allows for a broader range of teaching projects, plans, and ideas. Instead of creating plans and sessions focusing specifically on literacy and/or numeracy, plans could be created based on play and activities children are already doing or interested in. Alternatively, activities children are engaged in could be enhanced to involve greater literacy and numeracy learning possibilities in spontaneous or semi-planned teachable moments.
The ability to teach literacy and numeracy to children through regular, non-specific activities allows for a broader range of teaching projects, plans, and ideas. Instead of creating plans and sessions focusing specifically on literacy and/or numeracy, plans could be created based on play and activities children are already doing or interested in. Alternatively, activities children are engaged in could be enhanced to involve greater literacy and numeracy learning possibilities in spontaneous or semi-planned teachable moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment