"States the strengths & possible limits of your own ability to observe & offer literacy & numeracy experiences with children less than 4 years of age."
My experience so far in my
educating career has been with children four years and over. I am currently
placed at a Kindergarten working with four and five year olds and I work at an
Out of School Hours Care (five to twelve year olds). I have a number of second
cousins in the less than four years age bracket, however, due to busy lives and
the size of my family I do not see these children often. Therefore, my experience
with children four years and under is limited. Additionally, my awareness of
literacy and numeracy has grown considerably just in the first three to four
week of this topic as my understanding and awareness of children’s literacy and
numeracy was less than significant before this semester. Thus, in regards to my
‘strengths and possible limits of my ability to observe and offer literacy and
numeracy experiences with children less than four years of age’ my limits are
greater than my strengths. I have a number of ideas relating to my potential
future career, including working special needs children, some day working with
older teenagers in a mentor role, working in kindergartens, and working in
early primary school years, however, I have no plans at the moment to work in
childcares or with pre-kindergarten age children. Still, expanding my knowledge
and observations in literacy and numeracy in these children is something I need
to focus on. Just because I have no plans to work with these children does not
mean I should ignore what they are capable of as an understanding of where
children are coming from into my classroom or kindergarten is important.
To do this during this topic I
should focus more of my readings on experiences, studies, and observations on children
younger than four. Reading about,
discussing, and focusing on the literacy and numeracy capabilities of these
younger children will give me the foundation for observing and offering experiences
with children. It will also give me a greater understanding of where children
aged above four have come from and what they have learned, or should have
learned. Understanding this will allow me to better help those children (over
four) who perhaps do not have the expected capabilities and who might need to
revisit literacy and numeracy understandings they learned when they were
younger. Using the readings and discussion times (both on this blog and in
class) during this topic will help me to achieve a greater understanding of the
literacy and numeracy capabilities of children less than four years of age, and
thus, expand on the foundations of my abilities to observe and offer
experiences to these children.
However, I have expanded on my knowledge of literacy in children less than four already during this topic, by analysing weekly readings. During the first week of the topic, week five, I read and analysed a speech by Mem Fox who argued the importance of reading to children from birth to school. Stressing the importance of reading to children often before kindergarten and school age to help develop their knowledge of literacy, gave me a greater understanding of how important reading to young children is. Additionally, the reading analysed in week six showed me that the development of literacy is not always necessarily something that is done through typical literacy related activities. Developing literacy capabilities can happen through multiple types of everyday play activities as well.
Future readings should include more practical examples of numeracy experiences in children less than four.
However, I have expanded on my knowledge of literacy in children less than four already during this topic, by analysing weekly readings. During the first week of the topic, week five, I read and analysed a speech by Mem Fox who argued the importance of reading to children from birth to school. Stressing the importance of reading to children often before kindergarten and school age to help develop their knowledge of literacy, gave me a greater understanding of how important reading to young children is. Additionally, the reading analysed in week six showed me that the development of literacy is not always necessarily something that is done through typical literacy related activities. Developing literacy capabilities can happen through multiple types of everyday play activities as well.
Future readings should include more practical examples of numeracy experiences in children less than four.
No comments:
Post a Comment