Clearly describes how the
concepts are connected to & supported by social relationships & contexts.
A few weeks ago, I wrote a list
of all the literacy and numeracy related things I had done over a 24-hour
period (or more correctly those I could remember). I will now us one literacy
and numeracy example from this list to describe how literacy and numeracy
concepts are connected to and supported by social relationships and contexts.
·
Judging distances
This numeracy related activity is
heavily dependent on social contexts and relationships. Judging distances is
important is almost all movement related activities including walking, running,
jumping, driving, skating, dancing, spinning, writing, reading, typing, and
viewing/watching. The amount of distance needed between us and certain objects varies
depending on the activity. When reading a book, newspaper, or a technological
screen, the object should be close enough to read comfortably without straining
our eyes by either too much or too little distance. However, the distance
needed to comfortable read a book is different to that needed to comfortably
read a road sign. Another example is judging the distance between you and the
objects in a house you need to walk around, this distance could be increased by
the addition of crutches, a walking frame, or a wheelchair or even just glasses
(I found when I first got glasses that I managed to misjudge the distance between
my glasses and the doorframe many more times than I would care to admit). Judging
distances between friends when having a communication can be determined by a
number of things, for instance if the space you are in is loud you may need to decrease
the space between you and the person(s) you are communicating with, or if the
space is quiet this may happen also. However
if you were playing sport on a pitch or field you might not decrease the
distance but instead increase the volume of your voice, or include gestures and
hand signals. The ability to judge distances and relate them to the activity we
are doing is a highly numerate experience, that is connected to and supported
by social relationships and contexts.
·
Reading and replying to text messages (and other
forms of technological communication)
The social connections in this
activity should be as obvious as the literacy abilities used to complete it.
The use of a mobile phone to communicate with others, whether through texting,
calling, emailing, Facebooking, Skyping, or any other form of mobile communication
is connected to the society and technological age we live in. Children in early
childhood are unlikely to own their own phones, but many of these children will
be aware of what a mobile phone is, and how it can be used to communicate,
though they may not distinguish the differences in applications. Mobile phones
and other forms of social networking technological communication have also been
used to create a different form of language, through the use of emoticons and SMS
English. This is another example of how literacy concepts are connected to and
supported by social contexts. The development of emoticons to express emotions,
thoughts, and opinions through pictures in written language, as well as the
abbreviating of words in SMS English is an example of how literacy has been
changed and supported by social contexts. The different types of language used
in technological communication is dependent on social contexts and
relationships. This does not just refer to SMS English and emoticons, but also
the language used in different forms of communicating. The language you use to text
your best friend might not be the language used to formulate a business email,
which again would be different to a Facebook post that your friends and family
can see, and different again when writing a personal post on something like
Tumblr where your identity can remain anonymous. Additionally, those with
hearing or vision impairment may not be able to use certain types of
technological communication as effectively, as well as those who do not use English
as their first language. Social relationships, such as friends, family,
associates, peers, students, parents, etc, and contexts, such as work, home,
social, etc, are connected to the types of language we use.
Hi Emma.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you have talked about in the 'reading and replying to text messages' section of your blog. I have also observed that with the increase in technology, language has evolved based on what is needed to decode the new technology, such as SMS English and emoticons.
Your point about how individuals use different language to talk to different people is very true. I believe that the language that individuals use is dependent upon the social relationship that they share with the other interlocutor. I.e I would talk to my friend in a casual style, whereas I would talk to the parents in my class in a professional and formal way.
Thank you for your insight!