Specifies the
teaching approaches you’ll use & the learning environs you’ll create to
support the social dimensions of early literacy/numeracy
During tutorials this week, we
were asked these three questions:
- What have I learned so far in this topic?
- What is my teaching identity?
- What kind of educator am I going to be?
All three of these questions are
important in specifying the teaching approaches, and learning environs I will
use and create in my teaching career when involving literacy and numeracy. Below
is my initial answers to these three questions, and how these answers will
relate to my teaching approaches and future learning environs. Over the course
of my education and career these answers will no doubt change, adapt, or
expand.
What have I learned so far in this topic?
Many regular, everyday activities involve and include literacy and
numeracy.
Direct teaching is less important in early childhood than I thought.
Experiences, surroundings and settings are important for emergent
learning.
The idea that literacy and
numeracy is ingrained into many aspects of our lives was not a completely new
concept to me this semester. However, the idea that literacy and numeracy, as
well as their concepts and ideas, are everywhere had never registered as being
important for teaching children. School and kindergarten based teaching of
reading, writing, counting, and other literacy and mathematical concepts and
ideas was something I was familiar with, however, I struggled to understand how
educators (as well as parents and caregivers) could help develop younger
children’s literacy and numeracy. Thus, the idea that many regular, everyday
activities, including those found in play, involve literacy and numeracy has
been significant, and will be significant in my approach to teaching. Surrounding
children with experiences, settings, and meaningful learning opportunities that
involve, include, and focus on literacy and numeracy will be important in my
future teaching. Connecting play and children’s interests to learning
opportunities will also be important. As my reading responses have shown,
all different areas of play can connect with literacy and numeracy, therefore,
creating an environment that is rich with stimulating, exciting, and
interesting things to explore and play with is important. Focusing on children’s
specific interests and learning needs is also important and can be used to
expand on literacy and numeracy concepts, ideas, and learning. For example, a
child’s interest in animals can be expanded on by including books, stories and
songs involving animals into the child’s learning. Play toys and puzzles that
feature animals can be enhanced with literacy by adding labels describing body
parts or descriptions of living environments and habits. Distinguishing between
different types of animals can help with pre-reading development (visual
discrimination), and interactive counting with animals (sounds, pictures, eg. ‘Five
little ducks went out one day’) could help involve reluctant learners, or
increase interest in other children. The fact that literacy and numeracy ideas
and concepts can be found and used in nearly all areas of life allows educators
to focus on the child’s needs and interests and focus our teaching (whether
indirect or direct) on the child, in order to create the best learning
environment for children. The idea of not directly teaching reading and
counting has appeared in my reading blogs (weeks five, six, and nine). The
inclusion of activities and opportunities that stimulate children’s interests
as well as their development of pre-reading, writing, and counting, abilities
will be The inclusion of activities and opportunities that stimulate children’s
interests as well as their development of pre-reading, writing, and counting,
abilities will be important in my teaching.
What is my teaching identity?
Play-based learning
Student-based learning
Real-world connections and preparing children for life not just for
further schooling in the development of lifelong learners and critical thinkers
Various/abundance of materials, experiences, time, play, settings,
scenarios, etc
Combination of structure (for the development of discipline, sense of
time, taking instructions, and breaking up the day), and free time where
children can follow their own interests
The importance of play-based
learning has been outlined and explained to me many times during my degree already,
and as an early childhood education student, I’m sure it will be discussed many
more times in the next two years. Play-based and student-based learning is
important to me, and was before I started my degree, though I did not know the
specifics. As an OSHC educator, and through my own childhood memories, I see
and remember children being the most happy and concentrating on their learning
more when it is relevant to their interests. During play children are able to
socialise, explore, imagine, create, build, draw, fantasise, examine, break,
run, jump, hide, and many other activities that they love doing, and best of
all during free play it is all up to them. They get to decide what they want to
do. These experiences are important to me in a child’s development purely for
giving children as much time to be children, have fun, and be happy, as we can.
However, when you realise that play is also how children learn play becomes
vitally more important. Additionally, student-based learning has always been
something that seemed obviously important to me. Time and time again I noticed
(whether at the time or after the fact) that students and children learn best
when they are interested in what they are learning. Creating lessons and
learning opportunities that are relevant to children’s interests is just as
important as play-based learning to me. This is why connecting learning to
real-world settings is important to my teaching identity. Connecting learning
and development to interests and applications in the real world should make learning
more interesting to children, allow them to be more involved in their learning,
and help start their development as lifelong learners. Student-based learning
is not just about teaching to students based on their interests, but also in
allowing children to pursue those interests themselves, and to create their own
questions and learning opportunities. By surrounding children with literacy and
numeracy rich experiences and play materials, or materials that will develop
their pre-reading, writing, counting abilities, children should begin to
develop their own interests towards literacy and numeracy through play. Using
these interests, we can help further develop their abilities and learning
opportunities in literacy and numeracy, while still emphasising play-based and
student-based learning.
What kind of educator am I going to be?
Lifelong learner
Warm, supportive, encouraging, open-minded, culturally aware,
observational, inclusive, understanding
As an educator promoting the
importance of lifelong learning, I must also be a lifelong learner. Thus, as an
educator I will strive to learn through my teaching. I will learn from children
as well as how they learn, communicate, and express themselves and strive to
adapt and change my teachings in regards to these things. I will adapt my
teaching to different learning needs and interests, and create lessons and
learning opportunities that interest and engage children, and allow them to
take control of their own learning, ask questions, and choose their own topics.
Additionally I will learn from
current and changing research in regards to early childhood education, adapting
to new ideas about how children learn, and using this research to formulate my
own new ideas about how best to teach children. I will use the research and
practice of other educators as resources to constantly change, adapt, develop,
and improve on my own teaching strategies, especially in the case of struggling
learners.
I will also learn from my own
experiences, as well as those of parents, caregivers, friends and other family
members in regards to formulating new ideas and ways of thinking about
teaching, and to be able to best create lessons and learning opportunities for
every child I teach.
Thank you for your post Emma!
ReplyDeleteI too have a similar teaching philosophy to you in the early years. I believe that play based learning connected with social learning is important for the emotional, and social development of the children. I also agree that we will forever be learning and adapting to new challenges that willl help us to become better educators whether it may be from other teachers, parents, peers or students.